2023 EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES (June to December):
1. Australia and Taiwan: Semiconductor Sector Outlook and Collaboration – Thursday, 8th June 2023 at Sparke Helmore Sydney(In person and online)
Taiwan’s dominance of the chip industry makes it very important as almost everyone wants a piece of it! Investment NSW sent a delegation to Taiwan in February led by Professor Hugh Durant-Whyte, the Chief Scientist, and Semiconductor Sector Service Bureau (S3B) key personnel etc. They signed an MOU with the National Science and Technology Council of Taiwan (NSTC). This webinar was attended by the Hon. Anthony Roberts MP, Director General Fiona Fan of TECO in Sydney, Professor Hugh Durant-Whyte and Dr Ho Lin of TECO in Australia among 50 guests online and in person. The panel presentations and discussion included experts from Sydney and Taiwan, and was led by Dr Jennifer Hsu, Project Director & Research Fellow, Lowy Institute and Senior Visiting Fellow, Social Policy Research Centre of UNSW.
This event was proudly sponsored by Investment NSW and National Science and Technology Council Taiwan and supported by Spark Helmore Lawyers.
2. ATBC AGM 2023 – Tuesday, 18th July 2023 at50 Martin Place, Sydney
The Macquarie Group once again hosted this year’s AGM followed by a Business Luncheon at their Sydney HQ. Chairman Toigo and Hon. Treasurer Cheng presented their reports both in writing and in a verbal presentation at the AGM.
The Keynote Speaker at the lunch was Professor Tim Harcourt, Industry Professor and Chief Economist, University of Technology Sydney. ATBC presented the 9th “Sir Charles Court Award” to Mr Elliott Y. L. Charng, Representative of Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Australia (TECO in Australia) for his contribution to Australia-Taiwan Relations over three decades.
3. How can Australia and Taiwan complement each other in Advanced Manufacture? – Wednesday, 9th August 2023 at ANZ Building, Level 10, 833 Collins Street, Docklands Melbourne (In person and online)
Taiwan is a powerhouse in advanced manufacturing, with a highly skilled workforce and more than 700 hardware and component makers, generating over US$500 billion in exports annually. Taiwan is the world’s largest producer of computer motherboards and a leading manufacturer of semiconductors, LCD screens, and solar panels. Additionally, Taiwan ranks first in the world for robot density, with 56 robots per 10,000 employees, surpassing even Japan and South Korea.
Taiwanese firms are leveraging these advantages to push rapidly into emerging sectors such as automation, electric vehicles, battery technology, green energy, IoT and smart agriculture. More than a dozen Taiwanese technology firms have invested in Australia and several more seek R&D and co-development partnerships. With federal and state governments committed to fostering the growth of advanced manufacturing, Australian businesses can look towards Taiwan as a technology development partner.
Mr Bryan Stagg, Vice Chairman, Financial Institutions Group of ANZ, Mr Ray Lu, Director General of TECO in Melbourne and Mr Brent Moore, Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner of Austrade Taiwan made their remarks in person. Chairman Toigo and Dr Guann-Jyh Lee, Deputy Director General, Bureau of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Economic Affairs (MoEA) of Taiwan made their addresses online.
A great panel of Dr Roy Ko, General Manager of ANCA Motion Taiwan; Ms Taya Permezel, Director Partnerships, Coolon LED Lighting; Ms Susie Chen, EIoT Sector Sales Manager, Advantech Australia; Mr Younger L. Liang, Co-founder & CTO, KDH Design Inc.; Mr Raymond Hoac, Mini PC & IoT Product Manager, ASUS Australia and Mr Nick Carter, CEO & Managing Director of Skaysha Energy presented their insights. The final panel discussion was led by Dr Bill Petreski, Founder & Principal of Strategy61.
ATBC was grateful for ANZ to sponsor part of this event which it was held at their Docklands HQ.
4. 28th Taiwan-Australia Joint Energy and Minerals, Trade and Investment Cooperation Consultations (JEMTIC) – Friday, 28th July 2023 at Customs House, 399 Queen Street, Brisbane
Chairman Toigo and I joined online while a small delegation from Taiwan, as part of the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MoEA), arrived in Brisbane to attend the event. 28th JEMTIC was hosted by the Department of Industry, Science and Resources (DISR) Canberra and topics covered 1) Energy Policy Overview; Low Emissions Technology and Renewables; 3) Energy Efficiency Technology and Research; 4) Resources Outlook.
5. 36th Joint Conference of ATBC and ROCABC – Monday to Wednesday 14th to 16th August 2023 at the Shangri-la Far Eastern Hotel, Taipei (In person only)
The 36th Joint Conference of the ROC-Australia & Australia-Taiwan Business Councils was held in Taipei at the Shangri-La Far Eastern Taipei. It kicked off with the Welcome Dinner and special Welcome Tea Ceremony on Monday 14th August 2023. Mr Yang Wei-Fuu, Chairman of ROC- Australia Business Council, CIECA, Taiwan and Mr John Toigo, Chairman, Australia-Taiwan Business Council Limited (ATBC) formally opened the Conference on Tuesday 15th August 2023. Ms Wang Mei-Hua, Minister of Economic Affairs; Senator the Hon. Don Farrell, Special Minister of State and Minister for Trade and Tourism; Mr Tien Chung-Kwang, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs; and Hon. Cameron Dick MP, Treasurer & Minister for Trade and Investment, Queensland Government were invited to deliver remarks.
They all expressed the importance of and support for the Joint Conference of the ROC-Australia & Australia-Taiwan Business Councils at the opening ceremony. The conference attracted more than 170 people from industry, government and academia in Taiwan and Australia.
There were four topics for the conference and speakers are:
- “Energy Transition” – Dr Lin Jo-Chen, CEO of Taiwan Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Partnership, Mr Wu Chen-Han, Electrical Engineer, Taiwan Power Research Institute, Taiwan Power Company, Mr Mark Leslie, Co-Head for Asia of Eku Energy, Macquarie Asset Management, and Mr Iain Scott, Vice President, Global LNG Trading, Woodside Energy Ltd.
- “Smart Agriculture” – Dr Huang Jeng-Fang, Director General, Taiwan Livestock Research Institute, Ministry of Agriculture and Mr David Smith, CEO & Executive Chair, Ceres Tag
- “Wellbeing & Health” – Dr Alice Wang, Director of Advantech WISE-IoT ASEAN and South Asia Business Development and Mr Jerry Huang, Executive Director, Gene Company Pty Ltd.
- “Cyber Security”– it was conducted in the form of a panel discussion with Mr Rowan Callick OEB, Vice Chair of ATBC as the facilitator. Mr Robert Chin, Chairman, Taiwan CISO Alliance, CISO, ASUSTek Computer Inc. Group, Professor John Fitzgerald, School of Business, Law and Entrepreneurship, Swinburne University of Technology, Dr Kao Da-Yu, Vice Chairman, Taiwan CISO Alliance, Deputy Head of Information Security Division, Bank SinoPac, and Professor Paul Watters, Academic Dean of Academies Australasia Polytechnic served as panellists to share their views and expertise.
Farewell Cocktails at the Marco Polo, Level 38 of the Shangri-la Taipei was a great finale to the event in which everyone was chatting, admiring a fantastic view of nighttime Taipei and making great connections to sustain the resilient relations between Taiwan and Australia! ATBC was grateful to the support of Mr Lachlan Crews, Acting Representative of Australian Office, Taipei at the Farewell Cocktails.
The ATBC delegation made a special request to see the Foreign Minister Joseph Wu, an old friend of the ATBC, on 14th August 2023. We also dropped into to see another ATBC’s old friend – Mr Bruce Hung, Director-General, Department of General Affairs, MoFA and former Director General of TECO in Brisbane.
Vice Chair Callick and I had a very productive catch up with Chairman Joseph JC Lyu, Bank of Taiwan on 17th August 2023.
It was my great pleasure to attend the TIQ Taiwan’s “Queensland Night Gala Dinner” prior the Conference at the Grand Hyatt Taipei on 13th August 2023 amongst over 250 businesses leaders and the Guest of Honour – Queensland Treasurer the Hon Cameron Dick MP and his entourage from Queensland.
6. Queensland Trade and Investment (TIQ) Reception 2023 – Tuesday, 3rd October 2023 at Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Southbank, Brisbane
I attended the annual TIQ gathering of all the overseas trade commissioners and business leaders from all the respective countries with over 400 people in attendance. The Hon Cameron Dick MP, QLD Treasurer and Minister for Trade and Investment addressed the reception.
7. Double Ten – 112th National Day of Taiwan Celebrations in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra – Thursday, 4th October 2023
The Board of ATBC presented at each city to help with the celebrations. I was also honoured to address at the 112th Taiwan National Day Celebration at the Lake Burley Griffin Walk on Saturday 7th October 2023 which it was organised by the Taiwanese Association of Canberra, Australia (TACA). What a great way to celebrate and it’s very much enjoyable to take part!
8. Premier’s New South Wales Export Awards 2023 – Monday, 23rd October 2023 at ICC Sydney
I presented at the annual Export Awards. It was great to see so many categories of awardees whose hard work and ideas have made their business thrive in this rather challenging business environment.
9. Business Roundtable Discussions with Mr Robert Fergusson, Designated Representative to Taiwan of Australia – Monday, 13th November in Sydney and Thursday, 16th November in Brisbane
It’s really appreciated that Chairman Toigo hosted both discussions at the offices of Spark Helmore. Thanks to all the participating members of ATBC for your valuable time and input, which provided more insights and thoughts to Robert prior to his official posting to Taiwan from late November 2023. ATBC look forward to working with him in 2024.
10. Meeting with the Mayor Tom Tate of Gold Coast City Council – Thursday, 16th November 2023
Chairman Toigo and I met up with Mayor Tate and his team at the Civic Chambers at Gold Coast to introduce ATBC and seek support for the upcoming 37th Joint Conference, possibly to be held at Gold Coast again. The Mayor is very supportive of this!
11. 27th Taiwan-Australia Bilateral Economic Consultations (BEC) – 29th to 30th November 2023 in Taipei (In person)
ATBC always provides the ATBC BEC Submission to both Australia and Taiwan governments each year before the BEC actually takes place. This will be subsequently posted on the ATBC website for people who are interested. Vice Chair Callick provided a pre-recorded video to present at the BEC in Taiwan due to the fact that this year it’s only attending in person in Taipei. The Australian Delegation was led by Ms Elly Lawon, Deputy Secretary of DFAT and the Taiwan Delegation was led by Deputy Minister Chern-Chyi (CC) Chen of MoEA. CIECA/ROCABC (our Taiwan counterpart) presented at the BEC Taipei, emphasising that the joint conference of the two councils is an important bilateral non-governmental exchange platform between Taiwan and Australia.
12. MAGC Gala Dinner of Asia Society – Friday, 1st December 2023 at Park Hyatt Melbourne
It’s very much appreciated that Mr Christopher Campbell of Australasia Academies organised a table this year for ATBC to take part in the Asia Game Changer Awards 2023 hosted by the Asia Society in Melbourne – Spotlight on Southeast Asia. It was so encouraging to see so many wonderful awardees in various categories!
ATBC was honoured to invite Mr Luke Donnellan, a former Victorian government minister and Co- Chair of recent formed the Australia-Taiwan Club in Melbourne at the Gala Dinner to exchange view for possible collaborations.
13. Meeting with Mr Peter McMullin AM, Chairman of Confederation of Asia Pacific Chambers of Commerce and Industry (CACCI) – Monday, 4th December 2023 in Melbourne
Vice Chairman Callick and I met up with Mr McMullin who took up the Chairmanship of CACCI last November in Melbourne to introduce us to bring CACCI and ATBC closer for future collaborations.